Thursday, June 18, 2009

First Photos

My how time flies. I though I'd be able to put a post up with photos on Monday or Tuesday, but I wasn't feeling up to it. The steroids I started last week really knocked it out of me.

So now, I come armed with photos and progress reports of my crocheting thus far. (Which really isn't as far along as I'd like to be, but there's still time).

So here goes (in order of which I've done the most work on):

Purple Pinwheels Crochet Quilt:
(The be-all, end-all of all crochet projects. A crochet afghan...quilt...made from little granny squares all sewn together in a quilt design.)

I'm using Red Heart worsted weight yarn in soft white, soft navy, light raspberry, and claret fleck. (clockwise, starting with the biggest!)


I had a chance to take a few photos Monday evening (or was it Sunday evening?) showing my progress with the squares. At that point I had gotten 10 done in three of the colors. When I first started out, I wasn't weaving in my ends as I went, and that proved to be more work later. To sit down and weave in 20-some ends in tiny little granny squares is definitely a challenge. The good news is, that later in the week, I came up with an easier way to do it, and started weaving in my ends as I go. That way, though my "square per hour" productivity has decreased a bit, when I'm finished with a square, I'm finished with a square. So, here are my first stacks of squares.











Okay, here's the story about this bad boy: It was late, I was tired. I was doing something else while crocheting. Either watching TV, or reading the Crochetville forums. I get to the end of the round, slip stitch it together, pull up a loop and cut it.... All is well and good with that, except that the design calls for TWO rounds.

So I have this little round thing, and I'm thinking what can I do with it? I guess the tired brain got a little bit too creative... So I started the second round with another color. (Note: I have never joined another color like this before, so I sort of make up my own method.) Well, lo and behold, the little round thing turned into a cute little square! I think it's rather adorable. And I was all gung ho about continuing, but then I realized I was using yarn that was bought for a specific project, in a specific amount, and if I keep going, I'm going to have a large afghan before I know it, and use up all my yarn.

So I left the little bugger the way it was, and I think I'll make something from it. Either keep adding rounds and make a big square afghan, or add a few more rounds and stop and make a bunch of squares like that, and sew them together to make a big afghan. Who knows? Back to the quilt afghan.

I've also whipped up about 10 or so more squares in the claret fleck since that photo was taken. Didn't have much crocheting time this week, so I haven't gotten as far as I planned. Hopefully I'll get at least 30 or 40 more squares done by the end of the weekend!

On to the next project:

Lilac One Square
(from a Red Heart pamphlet, all using worsted weight yarn, and all based on a square design, and all using pretty much just double crochet stitches)

Here's a photo of how the finished throw will look:


Hopefully the photo is good enough that you can see the design. Now, for the yarn that I bought for it:

Well, that's all for now. I have a pattern (for an afghan) that I've had for a few years that I've found recently, and I'd like to make it. But I still need 5 skeins, so I can't really get started on it. I just realized that I never took photos to post info about it. Hopefully next time, I'll photos for that.

That's it for now, need to get back to my squares!

No comments:

Post a Comment